Student exchange programmes in the context of relationships between universities and academic structures are useful in improving the quality of higher education. That is why, Kenyatta University has considered that linkages provide the necessary exposure to best practices elsewhere, a necessary ingredient for improving the quality of higher education globally.
Kenyatta University has developed programmes that encourage students to proceed to a university abroad for an academic year or academic semester. During that semester or year, students accumulate credits that are recognized and transferred to Kenyatta University towards their graduation.
Semesters abroad are faculty-led group programs that take place in the following periods
- September to December
- January to April
- May to August
The Semester Abroad Coordinator travels with the students overseas and where accommodation, field trips and courses are arranged in consultation with Kenyatta University Centre for International Programmes and Collaborations
Benefits of Studying Abroad:
Studying abroad offers broad based benefits and outcomes for students keen to embark on this international adventure.
Most of these are intertwined and come together to constitute the overall exchange experience.
- International learning and knowledge propels students towards acceptance and understanding of an array of different cultural and community perspectives.
- Language acquisition is achieved through practical immersion.
- Awareness and adoption of alternative, multi-faceted approaches to learning.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Enhanced interest in global issues as well as a broader general knowledge.
- Self-development and awareness leading to enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem. This is often the most noticeable change in returned exchange students.
- Maturity and social poise, fueled by the necessity to confront challenges outside a familiar support network and comfort zone.
- Integration into another family as well as the development of life-long friendships, fostering an appreciation of home and family.
- A tremendous sense of accomplishment upon completion encourages students to develop independent opinions, make informed decisions and strive to attain fresh goals.
- Students who go on to tertiary studies find themselves more comfortable in ‘foreign’ environments.
- Prospective employers in almost every field look favorably upon experience gained while living overseas and knowledge obtained of another language and culture.
- Increased pressure to communicate and relate to others develops an awareness of group dynamics and personal sensitivity towards others.
- Successful program completion represents an excellent measure of personal flexibility, encompassing an ability to reach compromise, focus and succeed through challenging times.
The Intra Africa Exchange Program
In 2012 Kenyatta University pioneered the Intra - Africa Student Exchange Program. This is a program that aims at increasing mobility of undergraduate students at 2nd and 3rd year levels within the African Continent. The program ensures that students are exposed cultures and academic practices in other universities within the continent.
1. Being a Kenyatta University Student at 2nd or 3rd year levels
2. Have no disciplinary record
3. Apply and get consent from the parent/guardian
4. Have a travel valid Passport
1. Application and consent forms are available in the Kenyatta University, CIPC webpage: http://international.ku.ac.ke/
2. All application forms are forwarded on hard copy to the CIPC office or on soft copy to email@example.com
1. Students are required to pay tuition and accommodation fees at Kenyatta University
2. Students will therefore not pay any tuition or accommodation fees at the host University and are guaranteed of accommodation at the host University
3. Kenyatta University will take care of the costs of travel (air or road where applicable) and Visa application fees (where applicable)
4. The student will take care of the subsistence (food, local travel and entertainment) costs at the host institution
The student will take units relevant to their course and thereafter a credit transfer will be effected upon receipt of transcripts from the host University. Therefore the student will not need to take the same units again at Kenyatta University.