Student exchange programmes in the context of relationships between universities and academic structures are useful in improving the quality of higher education. That is why, Kenyatta University has considered that linkages provide the necessary exposure to best practices elsewhere, a necessary ingredient for improving the quality of higher education globally.
Kenyatta University has developed programmes that encourage students to proceed to a university abroad for an academic year or academic semester. During that semester or year, students accumulate credits that are recognized and transferred to Kenyatta University towards their graduation.
Semesters abroad are faculty-led group programs that take place in the following periods
- September to December
- January to April
- May to August
The Semester Abroad Coordinator travels with the students overseas and where accommodation, field trips and courses are arranged in consultation with Kenyatta University Centre for International Programmes and Collaborations
Benefits of Studying Abroad:
The following are the perceived benefits of student mobility:
1) Mobility is important as a means to build networks that are very useful in futureendeavors;
2) Academic exchange opens up the student’s mind to new ideas and ne cultures;
3) The student stays relevant to global trends in culture and higher education
4) Exchange programmes provide the student the opportunity to compare the home university with the host one, contribute and gain experience, and take best practices back home.
The Intra Africa Exchange Program
In 2012 Kenyatta University pioneered the Intra - Africa Student Exchange Program. This is a program that aims at increasing mobility of undergraduate students at 2nd and 3rd year levels within the African Continent. The program ensures that students are exposed cultures and academic practices in other universities within the continent.
1. Being a Kenyatta University Student at 2nd or 3rd year levels
2. Have no disciplinary record
3. Apply and get consent from the parent/guardian
4. Have a travel valid Passport
1. Application and consent forms are available in the Kenyatta University, CIPC webpage: http://international.ku.ac.ke/
2. All application forms are forwarded on hard copy to the CIPC office or on soft copy to email@example.com
1. Students are required to pay tuition and accommodation fees at Kenyatta University
2. Students will therefore not pay any tuition or accommodation fees at the host University and are guaranteed of accommodation at the host University
3. Kenyatta University will take care of the costs of travel (air or road where applicable) and Visa application fees (where applicable)
4. The student will take care of the subsistence (food, local travel and entertainment) costs at the host institution
The student will take units relevant to their course and thereafter a credit transfer will be effected upon receipt of transcripts from the host University. Therefore the student will not need to take the same units again at Kenyatta University.